document on idn cctld names

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sun Feb 17 00:15:25 CET 2008

On 16 feb 2008, at 20.16, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On 14 feb 2008, at 01.15, Michel Suignard wrote:
>
>> Related to that, there are some relevant items to IDNA update in
>> the document, such as issues for Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Cyprus, etc...
>
> I have asked a friend from Sri Lanka to have a look at this, and the
> ZWJ issue. He is not ready with the thinking of the ZWJ/space thing,
> but point out that you have written "Sri" not the way he would do
> it. He said though when reading what you wrote, it produces the same
> sound.
>
> He would start the word just with 0DC1, with the two combination
> characters 0DD2 and 0DD4. That is the normal way of writing "Sri".
>
> The question about the ZWJ/Space might still be there. He will come
> back to me.

Actually, it seems to be more complicated than that.

One way of writing "sri" that my friend claim is "the correct way" you
can see in this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Sinhala-shri.png

Note the "r" below the base character. That we both have been looking
for in the Unicode character set, and can not find it. Because of
that, maybe what you Michael suggest is the only way of writing
something that "looks like" (and being pronounced like) "sri",
although not being it?

My friend Lakmal is now contacting some people that deal with Unicode
and Sinhala on Sri Lanka to see what happened, and what their view is.

I also cc:ed him on this mail.

    Patrik