final sigma and tonos

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Fri Feb 1 16:00:34 CET 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 5:26 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> As of today, the issue is still disputed. Typically, for matching,
> many French speakers assume that matching will be accent-independent
> and the proposed - not implemented in ".fr" - RFC 4290 table in
> <http://www.bortzmeyer.org/4290.html> (the article is in French but
> the comments in the table are in English) therefore create bundles
> that way.

Thanks, Stephane, for the response. If we were to expand pere-noel to
all of its accented variants (using your table of accented letters),
we would end up with a rather large set, even though only one of them
is the correct spelling (père-noël). I'm sure this has already been
discussed within the .fr community, but would you bundle *all* of
those variants, or would you bundle *only* pere-noel and père-noël,
and then *block* the rest? And have you discussed DNAME?

Erik