Implementation questions (digressing from...) / A DNAME issue

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Dec 31 15:10:31 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:44:37PM +0200, Vaggelis Segredakis wrote:

> ***NOT*** the same with user at name2.gr. This seems to happen because the tree
> of name1.gr subdomains equals the tree of name2.gr subdomains below the
> initial DNAMEing level only!

Yes.  Please see the DNAME specification.  There's also a DNAME
clarification draft working its way (currently slowly, because of me)
through the DNSEXT working group.

> >From this you can assume that the DNAME solution proposed is not a simple
> one but instead it can lead to further problems.

It's by no means ideal.  What would obviously be ideal is to have
something that aliases everything at example.tld to otherexample.tld.
A record like this:

  example.tld 86400 IN CNAME otherexample.tld

substitutes otherexample.tld for example.tld during the CNAME
processing.  But the same is not true for a similar DNAME.  To quote
draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2672bis-dname-14,

> 2.3. DNAME Apex not Redirected itself

>    Unlike a CNAME RR, a DNAME RR redirects DNS names subordinate to its
>    owner name; the owner name of a DNAME is not redirected itself.  The
>    domain name that owns a DNAME record is allowed to have other
>    resource record types at that domain name, except DNAMEs or CNAMEs.
>    This means that DNAME RRs are not allowed at the parent side of a
>    delegation point but are allowed at a zone apex.

>    The reason for this decision was that one can have a DNAME at the
>    zone apex.  There still is a need to have the customary SOA and NS
>    resource records at the zone apex.  This means that DNAME does not
>    mirror a zone completely, as it does not mirror the zone apex.

>    These rules also allow DNAME records to be queried through RFC 1034
>    [RFC1034] compliant, DNAME-unaware caches.

> In our registry we have been using this solution knowing the problems and
> pointing them out to our registrants when they decide to set up their domain
> name zones. However, if you wish this protocol to move forward and be
> successful with the use of email as well, you should not impose on
> registries to DNAME names. Instead, it would be useful each transformation
> or mapping to exist in the protocol itself.

Nobody is imposing DNAMEs on anyone; it's merely an option available
to operators.  Note that you can have other RRs at the domain name.
Therefore, if you _really_ want to support A records at the DNAME node
name, you could bundle the DNAMEd names in your registry database
somehow, and then when the A record for one of the hostnames was
updated, you could update all of them.  I think this is ugly, but we
don't have an RRTYPE that can mirror a zone completely.  It would be
nice were there one, but there isn't, and we have to cobble together
something that will work using the parts we have.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.