IDNA2008: concerns about inconsistent mappings, and german sharp s

Marcos Sanz/Denic sanz at denic.de
Thu Dec 11 18:25:23 CET 2008

Hi Markus,

> Will registries automatically register equivalent domain names for the
same domain?
> Will registries allow different domains to be associated with
essentially the same domain name?
> Will registrants be charged twice for essentially the same domain name?
> Will registries notify every registrant of a domain name currently
containing "ss"?
> Will all registries act with regard to sharp-s vs. ss, or only DENIC?
What about sub-domain names?

all an each of these questions have the same answer: it is the registries'
own decission to do whatever they want to do. It is their area of
competence and authority. And they will live with the consequences of
their acts.

We as a group can write down warnings about what consequences some
decissions could have. John wrote some text about this in the rationale
document. Do you have concrete comments/additions on that text?

Best regards,
Marcos