Representation (Re: Follow-up from Tuesday's discussion of digits in the)

Alireza Saleh saleh at nic.ir
Fri Dec 5 11:39:01 CET 2008

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> Alireza Saleh wrote:
>> Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>>> The people who are representing the script communities using those 3
>>> scripts have claimed that there is a problem to be solved at a
>>> protocol level.
>>> No other script community has made such a claim.

The Cairo meeting was not attended by everyone. Iranian s were not given
visa. All but one participant came from Arab-speaking countries.

>> Just a quick comment. As a member of Arabic-Script community and
>> according to my previous emails,  I would like to say that we want to
>> resolve digit-mixing within the registry instead of the protocol.
> %hanks for that reminder!
>
> The IETF is often accused of disregarding input from organized bodies
> and listening to only input from individuals that speak up in the
> IETF; your note is a good reminder that we need to not tilt the other
> way.
>
> (I checked the idna-arabicscript list and see that you've been arguing
> the same position there, and so has the other person with a .ir
> address - so it's clear that the people representing the ASIWG to the
> IETF don't have an unanimous voice behind them.)
>
>                Harald

I thought each post to the IETF mailing list is considered as individual
idea except those that the sender declare that it is not.  I would
appreciate if my posts to this mailing lists are considered as my
individual capacity.

ASIWG doesn't have participants from all languages which use
arabic-script so this can affect the statements of the group. I believe
IETF should listen to ideas regardless the origin and then fairly
evaluate the inputs before taking any action. Regarding the
digit-mixing, IETF didn't gather enough information before changing the
draft and it seems that IETF acts more carefully than ever.

I still can't see any reason other than visual-confusions that make IETF
prevent digit-mixing in the protocol. As you know, Arabic-Script
contains homographs that protocol says nothing about them, and all
should be handled by the Registry (Zone authoritative).

Alireza