Stability of valid IDN labels

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Wed Apr 23 04:35:54 CEST 2008

On 22 apr 2008, at 22.40, Mark Davis wrote:

> But as above, their program just won't let them access labels
> that incorporate any changes in the tables, not just exceptional
> changes
> from DISALLOWED to PVALID.

Just three short things that I think capture the difference between
your and mine view.

Yes, it will capture changes based on assignment of earlier unassigned
codepoints as the algorithm is based on an algorithm based on the
Unicode Properties, and not a table. No, it will not capture later
additions of unassigned codepoints to the exception table. What is
needed is "only" that the Unicode versions are updated, and that
happens when the operating system is updated. Much more likely than
software / application updated.

My statement on interest from application creators to include filters
in their applications are coming from, well, application creators.
They want to do implement these filters.

Last issue, noone want software to "never be updated". But
applications are much more seldom updated than what anyone wants.
Unfortunately.

    Patrik