WG Review: Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (Revised) (idnabis)

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Apr 10 18:18:39 CEST 2008

Harald,

That's the draft. The named authors were Li Ming Tseng, Deng Xiang, Ho
Jan-Ming, Xiaodong Lee, Kenny Huang,
Wenhui Zhang, Hsu Nai-Wen, Sun Guonian, Erin Chen, and Zhang Hong. Their
affiliations were CNNIC, TWNIC, and CDNC (which then included persons
representing Hong Kong and Macao), and of course the draft was discussed
at length in at least one joint CDNC-JET (CN,TW,KR,JP NIC) meeting I
attended.

Some time later I wrote to the then IRTF chair and mentioned the
conclusion of some earlier workshop which had some language about the
necessity of further work on character sets. I suggested acting on the
prior conclusion, starting an IRTF task. The response to that was "no".

So the "lesson" drawn at the time was that intermediate tables, or
tables, was out of scope. This is well in advance of any subsequent
conclusions Martin mentioned, though the N-to-M nature of the proposed
mappings was known to the above authors at the time they first offered a
tsconv draft.

This, more than the content, surprised me the most about
draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-xx.xxx.

I'll stop here, I've got travel today to a meeting, so I'm out of time.

Eric