06FD and 06FE should be PVALID for Sindhi

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Apr 1 21:40:42 CEST 2008

--On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 11:54 AM -0700 Mark Davis
<mark.davis at icu-project.org> wrote:

> The fact that it is used in text doesn't necessarily mean that
> the General_Category has to be Letter, any more than it does
> for similar elements in other scripts, including:
>
> U+0026 AMPERSAND  gc=Po
> U+204A TIRONIAN SIGN ET  gc=Po
>
> Or, for that matter, for characters like apostrophe, as in the
> name "L'Oreal" or the word "can't".
>
> Even if the consortium were to decide that they should have
> the category Letter, It is far too late for any change in
> Unicode 5.1. The window of opportunity for property changes in
> 5.1 closed about 2 months ago: it's due to be released this
> Friday.
>
> If there is sufficient evidence that they must be in IDNs
> (which is related to, but different from, evidence that they
> are used in flowing text), then they should go into the
> exception list.
>
> This is just a personal opinion -- we can put a discussion of
> this on the agenda for the next UTC so that the consortium can
> respond.

Mark,

Thanks for the response (and the one from Ken).   And thanks for
the offer to put it on the UTC agenda.  If I correctly
understand the issue -- and it is less "used in text" than "only
way to write that particular type of connector" -- then this is
an almost-perfect example of why we allowed for exceptions.  But
the more everyone understands things and the more information
that is available, the more comfortable I think everyone will
be.

best,