[Almost OT] Re: Hangul jamo issues - are jamo sequences legitimate?

Soobok Lee lsb at lsb.org
Wed Jan 10 03:12:11 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:41:44PM -0800, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> Soobok Lee said:
>
> > Not only hangul syllables but also jamo letters form hangul words.
> >
> > Such use is not an "illustrative" use of jamo letters.
>
> But it does seem to me that this is going very OT for the
> purposes of this list.
>
> In any language or writing system you can find unusual
> edge cases that can formally be considered part of the
> mechanisms for writing "words".

Currently, you can see "KI-YEOK NI-EUN DI-GEUD" very
often in booknames like (ABC in ascii world). that is
not an edge case in Korea.

At that time of 15th century, jamo letters were inter-mixed
with hangul syllables, as joining characters between
hangul nouns, as you can see HUN-MIN-JEONG-EUM standard
document cited above.

> For example, U+0026 AMPERSAND is rather widespread in the
> representation of wordlike abbreviations in English. See,
> for example:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons
>
> Now it seems to me that someone might want to be able to
> register "AD&D.com" or the like, but it is most unlikely
> that IDNA would be extended to include "&" for that.
>
> Even more obviously, the apostrophe is a mandatory and
> widespread part of multiple orthographies, including
> English and French, but is totally out of bounds for IDNA.

But, jamo letters do not
cause  such punctuational problems like that of ' or &  in URI/IRI.

use of jamo letters in hangul words is close to
use of F in "IMF". You should pronounce that "F" as "ef",
unlike the case of "f" of "fine".

> It strikes me that a perfectly reasonable position to take
> for Korean for IDNA to allow any of the 11172 Hangul
> syllables (or the jamo sequences that are canonically
> equivalent to them, which would resolve, through nameprep,
> to the same strings), and not to attempt to restrict any
> usage of Hangul with CJK ideographs. That would seem to
> easily handle the 99.99% case for Korean without any
> particular difficulties.

Yes, I estimate  that hangul syllables will cover
99% of user demands for Korean IDN label.

But, such jamo use (currently marginal) in korea is increasing
,especially among teenagers.
( http://hompy.hangame.com/themeBlog.nhn )
And we already have jamo-containing words/names.

Moreover, U+31xx compat jamo letters are the only input method for
jamo chars under NFC and KSC5601. We have no direct input
method for U+11xx,which is not in KSC5601->UNICODE table.

So, U+31xx and U+11xx both should be allowed in labels.

Soobok