[Almost OT] Re: Hangul jamo issues - are jamo sequences legitimate?

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Wed Jan 10 02:41:44 CET 2007

Soobok Lee said:

> Not only hangul syllables but also jamo letters form hangul words.
>
> Such use is not an "illustrative" use of jamo letters.

But it does seem to me that this is going very OT for the
purposes of this list.

In any language or writing system you can find unusual
edge cases that can formally be considered part of the
mechanisms for writing "words".

For example, U+0026 AMPERSAND is rather widespread in the
representation of wordlike abbreviations in English. See,
for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons

Now it seems to me that someone might want to be able to
register "AD&D.com" or the like, but it is most unlikely
that IDNA would be extended to include "&" for that.

Even more obviously, the apostrophe is a mandatory and
widespread part of multiple orthographies, including
English and French, but is totally out of bounds for IDNA.

It strikes me that a perfectly reasonable position to take
for Korean for IDNA to allow any of the 11172 Hangul
syllables (or the jamo sequences that are canonically
equivalent to them, which would resolve, through nameprep,
to the same strings), and not to attempt to restrict any
usage of Hangul with CJK ideographs. That would seem to
easily handle the 99.99% case for Korean without any
particular difficulties.

--Ken