Re: idna folding (was Re: idna-bis and '゜')

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Mon Dec 17 17:30:37 CET 2007

Hi Patrik,

On Dec 16, 2007 3:45 PM, Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
> On 16 dec 2007, at 23.46, Erik van der Poel wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 2007 12:50 AM, Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
> >> This mapping at time of registration is something
> >> we have had already in the previous IDNA of course (in some
> >> registries), but now also vendors that create browsers have interest
> >> in implementing those mappings at time of registration.
> >
> > I guess you meant resolution instead of registration in the case of
> > the browsers. In any case, I hope that these browser developers do not
> > start implementing such mappings unilaterally. I would hope that they
> > would discuss this with others (e.g. on this mailing list), so that
> > there is some hope of interoperability.
>
> This is what I have seen at least some of them doing. I.e. being
> interested in having the *same* mappings and rules etc. All in all to
> help the user.

Would you please confirm whether you are talking about registration or
resolution here? If you are talking about resolution, are you saying
that some browsers have started mapping from o-diaeresis to o-slash or
vice versa inside <a href="...">? Also, are you talking about a
browser (HTML viewer) or an HTML editor?

Erik