Re: idna folding (was Re: idna-bis and '゜')

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Dec 17 00:45:50 CET 2007

On 16 dec 2007, at 23.46, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2007 12:50 AM, Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
>> First of all there is a difference between mappings at time of
>> resolution, and at time of registration.
>>
>> If we start with the registration mappings, people do have interest
>> of
>> treating for example swedish and norwegian o with diaeresis / slash
>> as
>> the same codepoint.
>
> Just out of curiosity, are there any Swedish or Norwegian company or
> personal names that are written with o-diaeresis or o-slash, and would
> any of them be offended if their names were displayed with the one
> that they do not normally use themselves in printed matter, business
> cards, logos, etc?

A classic problem is the name of the bridge between sweden and denmark
that is Öresundsbron, that can also be spelled Øresundsbron. And btw,
have the URI http://www.oresundsbron.com/, or http://osb.oeresundsbron.dk/
  or...

If they are offended? No I do not think so, but people in Sweden think
the spelling is Öresundsbron, and the spelling for a danish person is
Øresundsbron.

Note if you click on the flags they call themselves Øresundsbron in
Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and English, but Øresundbrücke in German.

>> This mapping at time of registration is something
>> we have had already in the previous IDNA of course (in some
>> registries), but now also vendors that create browsers have interest
>> in implementing those mappings at time of registration.
>
> I guess you meant resolution instead of registration in the case of
> the browsers. In any case, I hope that these browser developers do not
> start implementing such mappings unilaterally. I would hope that they
> would discuss this with others (e.g. on this mailing list), so that
> there is some hope of interoperability.

This is what I have seen at least some of them doing. I.e. being
interested in having the *same* mappings and rules etc. All in all to
help the user.

This is why I am not so nervous of IDNA200x not having mapping as part
of the standard. The mappings you all ask for will be defined. You
have yourselves started!!! Registres have written lots of text
themselves. Etc.

    Patrik