prohibiting previously mapped and unmapped characters

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Thu Nov 30 02:26:27 CET 2006

At 9:42 AM -0800 11/29/06, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>Now that even the market-leading web browser (msie)
>has a version out that supports these (v7), it may become increasingly
>difficult to convince some implementors to prohibit characters that
>actually occur in the wild.
>
>http://www.majuro.jp/kaisya.html (3rd w in wwÇó.fwt.co.jp is full-width)

We need to know whether these characters exist in IDNs, not just in
poorly-typed normal URLs. In the example here, it is simply a wrong
URL. There may some examples where people have done this on purpose,
but if that number is small and the benefit of a shorter list is
large (which I agree it is), we should trim.