UTC Agenda Item: IDNA proposal

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Nov 23 21:45:18 CET 2006

--On Thursday, 23 November, 2006 16:26 +1300 Sam Vilain
<sam.vilain at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> Well, have a good time in São Paulo.  Note that Guaraní,
> spoken in Paraguay and nearby countries, is one of those
> languages that use the apostrophe as a phoneme.  So go find an
> Paraguayan representative and ask him how important the "puso"
> is to writing words in their language :-).

Sam,

Partially to give you a better understanding of the issues here,
let me try to explore this one by example.   If the character
that is required is "an apostrophe", especially an apostrophe
that NFKC maps into ASCII 27 (U+0027), then my guess is that it
won't happen, regardless of the language impact.  The principle
that internationalization doesn't impact the ASCII characters
that were not included in the LDH list (what was banned, stays
banned) and the interactions with programming and command
languages are just too great.  On the other hand, if there is an
appropriate apostrophe-look-almost-alike that is NFKC invariant,
and we can eliminate "apostrophe" from our vocabulary in talking
about it, I don't see much problem.