input time order of IDN/IMA

Soobok Lee lsb at lsb.org
Fri Dec 8 07:06:37 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:51:44PM +0900, Soobok Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 06:35:58AM +0100, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> >

> > --On 8. desember 2006 12:35 +0900 Soobok Lee <lsb at lsb.org> wrote:
> >
> > >Suggested recommendation (primarily for IMA draft, but also IDNAbis):
> > >  if bidi IMA/IDN contains at least one strong LtoR chars (like .com)
> > >      labels SHOULD flow left to right.
> > >  if bidi IMA/IDN contains no  strong LtoR chars at all,
> > >      labels SHOULD flow right to left.
> > >  dot-delimited bidi localparts SHOULD share the same display order
> > >      consistenly with labels of bidi IDN parts.
> > >

> > note the other requirement:
> >
> > display of a domain name (or an email address) copied into running text and
> > treated using normal Unicode BIDI algorithms SHOULD be exactly the same as
> > the domain name displayed by software that "knows" it's a domain name.

This requirement was already *loosened* by IDNA, since it opened rooms
for punycode-form display of IDN, instead of native form, for some
problematic cases (not fonts, possible spooding etc).

My above suggestion is for such special cases, not for general one, even though
that attempt won't success in running text as you said.

Soobok