[R-C] Modular Congestion Control in rtcweb

Wesley Eddy wes at mti-systems.com
Tue Mar 27 14:24:13 CEST 2012

On 3/27/2012 7:25 AM, Luca De Cicco wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> this mail follows a thread I've recently started at rtcweb at ietf.org.
> and moved to this mailing list following Harald's suggestion.
>
> Since congestion control is a fundamental building block
> for a multimedia communication framework such as webrtc,
> I think it makes sense to design the framework to allow
> using different congestion control algorithms such as it is
> done with audio/video codecs.
>
> Are there any plans to make the congestion control algorithm
> modular for multimedia transmission via PeerConnections?
>
> This would require the peers to select a particular congestion
> control algorithm at the establishment of the PeerConnection
> similarly to how the DCCP [1] protocol does at kernel level.

It seems like a good idea to me, in order to make it
potentially easier to deploy upgrades to the algorithms
over time (especially since it seems that the algorithms
will start as question marks).

This also motivates the question of why RTP over DCCP
isn't a potential solution.

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems