[R-C] Congestion control requirements - I-D format, -01a version

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Mon Mar 5 16:49:34 CET 2012

Harald-

That seems reasonable. If this is the path we take, we need to be sure
to state this clearly in the documents and be rigorous. In some of the
previous documents, the primary focus was on unicast and there was some
secondary discussion on multicast. As we all know, high-concurrency
multicast flows present a unique set of problems and they need to be
thought out in detail.

IMHO, the multicast portions of the older documents came up with
suboptimal design points around detection of ECN-compliant receivers and
middleboxes. The described algorithms would lead to unwarranted
duplication of streams in the high-fan-out (aka IPTV) deployment models.
If we want to move the unicast design quickly, it would be better to
carve out the multicast work and do it later. This is a bit perilous,
but I understand the motivations for doing so.

So, in summary, I am OK with confining the RTCWEB work to unicast as
long as we label it as such and plan to go back and look at the
multicast variants.

bvs