[R-C] Congestion control requirements - I-D format, -01a version

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Mar 5 15:35:40 CET 2012

On 03/05/2012 03:32 PM, Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) wrote:
> We do need to get some clarity on the scope of this work.
>
> When I reviewed some of the earlier RTP/RTCP/ECN congestion work, I had
> some concerns about its applicability to high-fan-out deployment models.
> If we can find mechanisms that satisfy both the unicast and multicast
> use cases, that would be great. If we are explicitly excluding multicast
> from this design, we need to be very clear in the document.
>
> IMHO, the RTP multicast case is very important and should be in scope.
> There are some techniques that can be used to aggregate and/or suppress
> RTCP feedback implosions, and we can map these techniques onto ECN.
> These mechanisms are in common use for error recovery in IPTV
> deployments, so there is some precedent for their use.
To be clear: I am not at all objecting to work on RTP multicast.

What I'm saying is that *for the RTCWEB scenario*, RTP multicast is
irrelevant.
Given that RTCWEB is expecting to deploy on a very fast schedule,
delaying work that RTCWEB may depend on in order to address the
multicast scenarios is not a good option.

In other words: I would like multicast to remain out of scope *for this
requirement set*.