[R-C] suggesting a BoF in Paris

Wesley Eddy wes at mti-systems.com
Mon Jan 16 04:38:49 CET 2012

Hello folks, as you know, I'd circulated a charter to the IESG
for "internal review", proposing to start a working group on
this topic.

Based on feedback and discussion with fellow ADs, I've decided
to slow down a little, and would like to suggest that some
of you work up a TSV BoF proposal for Paris.  I would hope this
could be a WG-forming BoF, and that in the time leading up
to it, we could be formulating a few things into I-Ds to
discuss, in order to test/demonstrate that the group is on the
same page:

1 - problem statement(s) (there are pieces of a few emails that
    could be a good start to this)
2 - requirements (again, there are a few emails that could be
    a starting point for this)
3 - proposed algorithms and other mechanisms (there is at least
    one I-D that fits this, more would be good, especially as
    there are multiple facets of the problem to be addressed)
4 - thoughts on how to test and evaluate algorithms (there seem
    to be less concrete thoughts on this so far?)

Holding a WG-forming BoF would be a bit more conventional process,
but potentially lead to greater success and seem less like we are
creating a WG out of thin air.  Another big advantage that was
pointed out to me is that the BoF does help draw attention and
perhaps bring more people and expertise to the group.

BoF proposals are due 2/13 according to the cut-off dates list.
Some procedures and guidelines are:
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/bof-procedures.html

--
Wes Eddy