[R-C] proposing a WG on RTP congestion control

Zaheduzzaman Sarker zaheduzzaman.sarker at ericsson.com
Wed Jan 11 09:00:52 CET 2012

Hi,

This is a good start.

Some comments below-

# This WG should include a usecase document describing exactly in what cases the proposed CC mechanism will work. This will also help to understand the scope of the WG and also in finding out corner cases (especially for cellular networks). This will help forming requirements as well.

# What about evaluation criteria's of the CC algorithm? There should be clear guidelines on evaluation criteria of an CC mechanism. And that evaluation criteria could vary depending on different usecases. This is why usecases are important for such a work like this. RTCWEB has usecase document which could be a good starting place.

# As Internet is a heterogeneous network, some text regarding the heterogeneity should be there in the charter so that all access types are taken into account explicitly.

# This is not entirely true that reacting to the ECN marking does not help queuing delay (especially in case of ECN for UDP for higher bitrate traffic). Reacting to packet loss is another topic. I think "detecting and reacting to losses and ECN marks" should be separated in the charter text.

# This charter text and in the mailing list people are concern about the fairness among the flows. To me this kind of CC property does not really related particularly to RTP. Rather it is related to all transport protocols that share the bandwidth of a link. The requirements and evaluation of the CC mechanism should be based on real-time media characteristics. Then can be mapped to any proposal(or protocol) and according to the mapping if require RTP can be extended and/or new RTCP messages can be added. This will also help future IP protocol design as they designers will have some references to consider.

# I expect this work to be collaborated with CONEX WG as well. They might have input for this work especially when we talk about fairness among the flows.

BR

Zahed

ANM ZAHEDUZZAMAN SARKER M.Sc.
Experienced Researcher