[R-C] proposing a WG on RTP congestion control

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Jan 3 14:44:26 CET 2012

On 01/02/2012 07:56 PM, Wesley Eddy wrote:
> Hello all, following up on our discussion in Taipei, I have proposed
> a working group in the TSV area to work on RTP congestion control.
> This is scheduled to be discussed by the IESG on 1/5 in "internal
> review".
>
> The draft charter is at:
> http://www.ietf.org/iesg/evaluation/rmcat-charter.txt
>
> I would welcome participants in this list to comment on this,
> particularly if/when it moves to "external review", as I would
> expect the folks currently on this list to be some of the main
> participants in the proposed WG.  I had previously had this
> reviewed by the TSV Directorate, and got fairly good responses
> and strong interest expressed from many of the directorate in
> participating as well.
>
> Happy New Year!

Happy new year!

I like the charter as written, as it seems to cover the ground we've
gone over in discussion fairly well and in some detail.

As a matter of planning, I'm a bit leery of the schedule; the first
milestone of the WG is in November 2012, and the last milestone is in
December 2012, corresponding to the second of the five bullets under
"The working group is chartered to...".

My two worries are:

- If we don't do even speculative planning for the further steps up to
"publish standards track RFCs", we're not setting expectations in the
community. This could be bad.
- Waiting 11 months from now before we start adopting documents for
possible Experimental publication seems like an awfully long time. If
the RTCWEB WG wants (likely experimental) documents to refer to in its
output, that means that those documents have to be RTCWEB work product
or independent submissions, meaning that we first have to publish them
outside this WG, then pull them back in; that seems to be a bit of a
circuitous route.

Do you have a more detailed image of how the work should progress, that
gives some sense of what the steps that need to be taken are between now
and November 2012?

               Harald