[R-C] Charter

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Wed Aug 8 09:50:59 CEST 2012

Hi all,

About congestion control vs. congestion avoidance: my personal opinion was that it's really the same, and using "congestion control" is just fine. I agreed with the suggestion to go for "congestion avoidance" because I didn't care, but Matt's argument convinces me. Indeed, congestion avoidance, as introduced in the seminal paper about that, refers to a phase of TCP, and is hence a bit misleading. It's possible that this charter could be interpreted to mean that we're really only interested in replacing this specific phase of TCP, but keep the rest (slow start etc.) for interactive real-time apps. Congestion control clearly refers to the whole thing, and so I went back to that wording now.  (just using "avoid congestion" is a more significant change to the text).

About John's last suggestion: " I'm not particular about the wording, but I think the charter needs at least a hint that the congestion-avoidance aims are different than TCP."  I have now incorporated that, just before the list of requirements; I hope you like the way I phrased it.

I think it's high time for me to share my current version, sorry for not having done that up to now - I was expecting to do internal updates first and then start the wordsmithing, but you guys seem to be fully at it already  :-)

I'm attaching a pdf of a version I produced with Word, where I added comments about who said what. Not everything is from the mailing list, some things come directly from the BOF. Yes, having the minutes would be helpful too, I know... I hope we'll have them soon.  I'm also copy+pasting the whole thing at the bottom of this email in plain text for your convenience - sorry if the formatting turns out strange.

Cheers,
Michael