[R-C] Charter -> congestion avoidance vs. congestion control?

Mirja Kuehlewind mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Aug 6 14:47:00 CEST 2012

Hi,

one more comment regarding the charter. I was wondering if there is a
difference between congestion avoidance and congestion control. I would say
congestion avoidance is the more general term, while congestion control
implies some kind of control loop.

In case of real-time media traffic, as we have specific traffic
characteristics, we might end up with something that e.g. only switches
between certain pre-defined rate depending on feedback that we maybe get
(only) once per RTT. This is quite different form current (TCP) congestion
control where you calculate the sending rate based on continuous feedback
(assuming you have more or less all the time data to send). Would we consider
both as congestion control or only the latter case which is TCP-like
congestion control?

I would propose to only talk about congestion avoidance in the charter to make
sure that we not only aim for TCP-like congestion control but also a solution
as described above would be in the charter.

Mirja

On Thursday 02 August 2012 19:12:30 Michael Welzl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There were two minimal changes to the charter, which is at:
> https://sites.google.com/a/alvestrand.com/rtp-congestion/bof-planning-page/
>wg-charter---input-to-vancouver
>
> It now explicitly says that the following are out of scope:
> * Active queue management; modifications to TCP of any kind; and
> * Multicast congestion control (common control of multiple unicast
> flows is in scope).
>
> Other than that, the charter hasn't changed since the last version
> that was sent around in May.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering (IKR)
University of Stuttgart, Germany
Pfaffenwaldring 47, D-70569 Stuttgart

tel: +49(0)711/685-67973
email: mirja.kuehlewind at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de