[R-C] Question about the problem with TFRC

Zaheduzzaman Sarker zaheduzzaman.sarker at ericsson.com
Tue Apr 17 15:29:13 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-17 12:33, abheek saha wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> A colleague and I published a paper on bandwidth adaptive video
> streaming in the ICUMT 2011, where we used TFRC as a bandwidth
> estimation mechanism. It worked ok, (we simulated it using the ns2
> built in implementation, with some minor changes), but getting it to
> work on top of RTCP/RTP was a lot of work; especially since the
> internet draft for TFRC over RTP has expired now. That is how I
> ended up in this mailing list. I have never compared TFRC with other
> equivalent mechanisms such as TMMBR though.

TMMBR is a mechanism to request a ceiling in the bit-rate from a given
RTP sender. TFRC is an algorithm to determine a transmission rate, or
actually when it is time to transmit the next packet. TMMBR is only
setting the ceiling value and the sender is allowed to chose any under
that ceiling. Moreover, the RTP receiver needs algorithm around TMMBR to
make it work for rate control.

Could you clarify how it would be possible to compared them?

BR
--
Zahed

ANM ZAHEDUZZAMAN SARKER