[R-C] Timely reaction time (Re: Comments on draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-congestion-01)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Apr 16 16:25:26 CEST 2012

On 04/16/2012 03:48 PM, Michael Welzl wrote:
> I'm not sure my concerns about what is now called RRTCC are answered,
> but I think that we pretty much agree design-wise anyway. I'm now just
> a bit confused by the mix of 1) arguments against my suggestion to use
> only one congestion control instance for everything (ideally by making
> all RTCweb flows streams of one SCTP association), 2) some statements
> saying "yeah, this was the plan anyway".
>
> Maybe it's because I don't know RTCweb well enough yet, or don't
> understand who does what and who plans what... and maybe it's also
> because I proposed too many intertwined things in one go
> (all-over-SCTP *and* one congestion control instance for everything).
> Whatever. Anyway, I think it's an interesting discussion :-)
Very possible - my take from RTCWEB side is that media over anything but
SRTP is just not going to happen this year (or perhaps any year), for
reasons having to do with installed base of a lot of stuff, while having
a bridge for congestion control information to flow between the "media
side" and the "sctp side" can be implemented in each implementation, and
is such a no-brainer than everyone agrees we should Just Do It.

So since your note was "all in one go", it's no surprise that people
seem to be saying yes AND no....

                   Harald