[R-C] Modular Congestion Control in rtcweb

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Fri Apr 6 00:51:05 CEST 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 12:05 AM, Luca De Cicco wrote:

> It's not clear to me how this discussion is developing: is there any
> consensus about making congestion control modular in webRTC (which was
> the original discussion here)?

True, we lost that thread; I guess that's mostly my fault - sorry!
My vote is: yes, it should be modular. For how to signal that, see
below for one thought:

> I'm asking this because the discussion rapidly changed topic from
> "should we make congestion control pluggable?" to "is DCCP a good
> candidate?" to "what congestion control should we use?" and I just
> feel kinda lost in these parallel discussions.

DCCP would have been an obvious candidate for its signaling
capabilities, but I don't have the impression that DCCP is a favorable
choice. DCCP-like protocol negotiation could be done using other
protocols. So I think what form the signaling should take, if we end
up with modular congestion control at all, is open.

Cheers,
Michael