[R-C] LEDBAT - introductions?

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Apr 5 13:53:26 CEST 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:56 PM, eemeaesarzah wrote:

> On 2012-04-03 15:06, David Ros wrote:
>
>> David.
>>
>> PS: I have a longer summary, but I tried to keep this short as
>> requested :-)
>>
> I am interested on your longer summary and perhaps you can educate
> us about the application of LEDBAT CC algorithm to real-time media
> specially on this note "by yielding when delay increases and by
> being less aggressive that TCP in grabbing extra bandwidth".

to answer that bit, let me quote from my own previous email describing
LEDBAT:

"it's one out of many mechanism that use delay (as a result of
increasing queue length) as an earlier indication of congestion.
without adding a mechanism like that "use the TCP equation as a lower
limit" or something like that, reacting earlier than standard TCP
makes you less aggressive - and this is what LEDBAT was designed to
be: a mechanism that "gives way" to TCP, making itself suitable for
background scavenger-like traffic."

I don't think anybody advocated using LEDBAT as it is here. But
personally, I would favor "adjusting" LEDBAT by e.g. adding the "TCP
equation as a lower limit" trick (which I think is neat!) and tuning
its parameters over having a from-scratch design of a new delay-based
mechanism. LEDBAT has already undergone some investigation, and so
we'd have a more stable basis.

Cheers,
Michael