[RTW] BOF agenda uploaded to IETF servers

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Feb 15 15:40:15 CET 2011

On 15 February 2011 15:10, Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:
> I've uploaded our preliminary draft BOF agenda to the IETF server:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/agenda/rtcweb.txt
>
> Comments welcome!

Hello, and de-lurking,

I won't be able to attend the meeting, but I have a scoping question.
Or rather, a hypothesis that RTC might facilitiate some TV related
(second screen / remote control) scenarios. Perhaps the meeting would
be an appropriate mechanism to get feedback on whether RTC is relevant
to such use cases?

Last week I attended W3C's "TV and Web" Workshop in Berlin.
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/web-and-tv/
There's a workshop report in preparation but the raw materials are
linked from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2011Feb/0007.html

There were a number of presentations (including mine) on theme of
using devices (smart phones, tablets) as "second screens", for remote
control functionality, but also to provide additional information,
interactivity, social functionality etc to accompany TVs and related
media centre devices. I showed some work that used XMPP to provide
such a communications channel, and Matt Hammond from the BBC showed
their HTTP/REST-based efforts. In both cases, "second screen"
scenarios have some familiar difficulties, and the RTC work was
discussed as a potential effort that could address these problems.

When using classic server-mediated XMPP, remote control apps suffer
from latency. XMPP allows us to address devices logically, but its
point-to-point use in LAN-local scenarios, or when the devices are on
different networks, is relatively immature (although JINGLE and
XEP-0174 show it growing in that direction).

When devices expose TV services over HTTP (as in the BBC work) things
are relatively simple so long as both devices are on the same LAN, but
otherwise there are difficulties.

There is interest in the W3C TV Interest Group community towards
standardising something in support of "second screen" remote control
TV / media centre scenarios. But also a healthy concern to avoid
re-inventing wheels - hence this message.

My small understanding of RTC is that you will be addressing nat
traversal issues, and will likely have some kind of control channel
for direct (non-server mediated) signalling between endpoints. I would
be grateful for any help in understanding whether these pieces
could/should/might be relevant to any hypothetical new "TV-style
remotes" W3C work as sketched above.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry that the requirement/scenario is
sketchy, some of us are working to come up with a more detailed
picture asap,

cheers,

Dan