[RTW] Second screen, low-delay control channels (Re: BOF agenda uploaded to IETF servers)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Feb 15 17:54:57 CET 2011

On 02/15/11 15:40, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 15 February 2011 15:10, Harald Alvestrand<harald at alvestrand.no>  wrote:
>> I've uploaded our preliminary draft BOF agenda to the IETF server:
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/agenda/rtcweb.txt
>>
>> Comments welcome!
> Hello, and de-lurking,
>
> I won't be able to attend the meeting, but I have a scoping question.
> Or rather, a hypothesis that RTC might facilitiate some TV related
> (second screen / remote control) scenarios. Perhaps the meeting would
> be an appropriate mechanism to get feedback on whether RTC is relevant
> to such use cases?
I'm not sure - to me it seems like second-screen applications need 2
types of data:
- Media data from a server, which are pretty well served by current
streaming-over-HTTP efforts
- Control data that go between the devices, which frequently could
benefit from a direct link to keep latency down.

In this use case, we could easily imagine using the RTC-web channel
establishment functionality, but not pass media over them. This could be
appropriate/important for some home situations, such as "TV on fixed
network, remote on WLAN network, phone on 3G".

What do others think? Should we add such a scenario to our (so far
virtual) list of scenarios?