[RTW] Comments on draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-datagram

Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com
Thu Dec 30 16:52:26 CET 2010

Hi,

A couple of questions and comments on draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-datagram-00:

* Section 4 defines four channel types: UDP, TCP, TLS and DTLS. Is it expected that all clients MUST support all of these? I suppose the reason why both UDP and TCP are included is that depending on the types of middleboxes the peers are behind, they may get just one or the other working. I.e. first try out UDP, if it does not work, attempt TCP. Is that correct?

* Section 4.5 states that TURN and relaying are needed. How about things like HTTP/TLS tunneling? In many cases that is the only way to get the transport channel working. TURN may be helpful in some, hopefully increasing, amount of cases, but that alone will still leave a lot of corporate users unserved.

* Section 3 mentions that things like pseudoTCP can be run over the datagram transport. In case only UDP works end-to-end that seems useful. However, if we can get a "native" TCP connection up, it seems natural to use that as is rather than via some kind of generic datagram abstraction layer. I think we probably should define both datagram and bytestream services separately. Bytestream would be either TCP or pseudoTCP/UDP. If we only do datagram service, leave the whole pseudoTCP reference out.

* Section 6 defines a URI with a number of IP address:transport:port candidates. I'm not too clear on how that URI would be used. It looks to me as something that is received as a result of gathering the candidates (with STUN, TURN etc.) as the first step of ICE. If Jingle or SDP offer/answer or some proprietary protocol were used to pass the candidate information to the other peer, that information would be encoded according to that particular protocol. So is this specific URI just meant for local representation at the API and not something that is passed over the network as such? What's the need or benefit of making it a URI?

Thanks,
	Markus