[RTW] [dispatch] Codec standardization (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Bernard Aboba bernard_aboba at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 07:09:46 CET 2010

For video codecs, "self interest" may be influenced by a number of factors.

For example, for a mobile applications developer, "self interest" may focus
on
aspects such as performance, battery life and maintenance costs.  If a given
codec is
supported in the hardware or operating system of their target platform, then
the developer
may perceive it being low "cost" to them.

For a chipset manufacturer, "self interest" may be determined by the demand
for chipsets
incorporating a given codec, as well as the associated licensing fees.
Typically the goal
is to maximize revenue minus cost, not just to minimize "cost".

These concepts of "self interest" not necessarily align with each other, let
alone with the
"self interest" of users, who may primarily care about how many other users
they can connect
with.