[RTW] [dispatch] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sun Dec 26 00:11:15 CET 2010

On 12/23/10 10:44, Ingemar Johansson S wrote:
> Hi Justin
> In some sense you are very right but I make a slightly different
> interpretation.
> Quoting section 4 in RFC3711
> "While there are numerous encryption and message authentication
> algorithms that can be used in SRTP, below we define default
> algorithms in order to avoid the complexity of specifying the
> encodings for the signaling of algorithm and parameter identifiers.
> The defined algorithms have been chosen as they fulfill the goals
> listed in Section 2. Recommendations on how to extend SRTP with new
> transforms are given in Section 6."
> I don't interpret this as mandatory to implement said algorithms,
> rather I see this as something needed to make the RFC complete. The
> encryption can be negotiated out of band so an implementer can avoid
> said algorithms completely if he/she wants to.
> Now I don't say that this is _the_ interpretation, please correct me
> if neecessary.
> I don't intend to enter a heated debate about which codecs should be
> used.
> My concern is more that it is not good to end up in a situation where
> a mandatory codec is specified in an IETF RFC and later on gets
> subject to some legal issues. What is the situation for the RFC then?,
> should the codec be demoted to optional in a new RFC that deprecates
> the old ?
> I don't have the answers, hope that some of the "grey-beards" can
> chime in and give some guidance later on.
> Regards and happy holidays
> /Ingemar

Ingemar,

I think you misinterpret RFC 3711 slightly.

More important than the text you quote is the text in section 5 of RFC 3711:

5.  Default and mandatory-to-implement Transforms

    The default transforms also are mandatory-to-implement transforms in
    SRTP.  Of course, "mandatory-to-implement" does not imply
    "mandatory-to-use".  Table 1 summarizes the pre-defined transforms.
    The default values below are valid for the pre-defined transforms.

                          mandatory-to-impl.   optional     default

    encryption            AES-CM, NULL         AES-f8       AES-CM
    message integrity     HMAC-SHA1              -          HMAC-SHA1
    key derivation (PRF)  AES-CM                 -          AES-CM

    Table 1: Mandatory-to-implement, optional and default transforms in
    SRTP and SRTCP.

In other words, an SRTP implementation that does not implement AES-CM and HMAC-SHA1 is not
a conformant SRTP implementation.

> I think a similar statement can be made regarding the selection of MTI
> video codecs. There are various reasons why one might choose one codec
> versus another. But if we are unable to pick at least one default/MTI
> codec (for each media type), interoperability and thereby adoption of
> this platform will be much more challenging.
I completely agree with your reasoning here.

Note that neither AES nor HMAC are IETF defined algorithms. It is indeed
quite common to refer to non-IETF technologies in mandatory-to-implement
statements (even if, as in the case of UTF-8, we sometimes choose to
reference those specifications by writing an RFC that describes the link).

                          Harald