[RTW] Codec standardization (Re: [dispatch] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com
Wed Dec 22 22:12:41 CET 2010

Hi Harald,

We can reference things as long as they are public and stable. But I also think that if we were to mandate some technology as part of an IETF standard, the future development of that technology should preferably be done under an open process. How does the future development of VP8 (or VP9) will happen from that point of view? I've seen some concerns about this so it would be good to get the facts.

As long as VP8 spec itself is not published as an Internet-draft, I don't suppose the IETF IPR rules apply to it. So I'm not sure which process we are following with it right now. That would be good to clarify.

Regards,
                Markus