[RTW] [dispatch] Codec standardization (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Henry Sinnreich henry.sinnreich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:46:41 CET 2010

>The statement about VP8 in the rtcweb-protocols document is a placeholder,
>put in there to indicate that we need to have the discussion. It's not a WG
decision, but input to a WG discussion.

This is an excellent position, thanks Harald!

Now that many people agree on the need for an ³IP-free as possible² RTC Web
codec, it would be a good start to make a short list of candidates and then
discuss them on merit. Such as IMO (sorry I am not a video codec expert):
V8, Theora and what other may contribute that require no IP. Even just
starting with a table like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs

To avoid rat holes and flames, I suggest not even to mention H.264 :-)
except as an example for what not to adopt.

Henry