Self-governance [Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-problem-process-00.txt]

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Fri May 16 18:22:46 CEST 2003

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> At 02:49 PM 5/16/2003 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > > 2  IETF Core Values
> >
> >I'm surprised not to find self-governance listed as a core value.
>
> Explain to me what it is, and if there is agreement, I'll add
> it!

Self-governance

The IETF is not controlled by a higher authority. The community, i.e.
the group of engineers actively participating as individuals, appoints
the Chair and the main committees (currently the IESG and IAB) by a
process agreed by the community itself. Although the lack of a formal
membership structure means that this process cannot be based on formal
voting, it is designed to be as open and democratic as reasoanbly
possible. It includes appropriate checks and balances against abuse
of power within the IETF.

   Brian