Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

Cyrus Daboo cyrus at daboo.name
Fri Sep 10 15:56:53 CEST 2010

Hi Keith,

--On September 10, 2010 1:40:16 AM -0400 Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu>
wrote:

> But here's the acid test.  If you can define a mapping from iCalendar to
> XML that doesn't require any string constants to describe it (other than
> for iCalendar keywords that imply nesting, and separators that are used
> in a regular fashion in iCalendar), and if you can define the inverse
> mapping from XML to iCalendar without naming more than a couple of
> specific element or parameter names - then I'll concede that the mapping
> will probably continue to work in the face of extensions to the iCalendar
> data model.   Otherwise, I'm highly dubious.

That is precisely the goal of draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml. iCalendar
components, properties, parameters and values all map to XML in a
consistent manner with no need to "special case" based on type or value.
New components, properties, parameters, values, either registered with IANA
or using X- prefixes map in exactly the same way.

Conversion to/from XML is trivial - I have coded at least one half of that
and I know others who have done both ways.It should also be easy to put
together an XSLT to go from XML to iCalendar - with the only possible
difficulty being having to apply escaping and line folding as required by
iCalendar.

--
Cyrus Daboo