Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Fri Sep 10 09:37:12 CEST 2010

My 2p (public comment) about this registration request:

Le 3 sept. 2010 à 00:44, Steven Lees a écrit :

> Type name: application
> Subtype name: calendar+xml
> [...] Interoperability considerations:
> This media type provides an alternative syntax to iCalendar data based on XML.
> Published specification:
> This specification. (http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-06.txt)

I personnally would welcome that my iCal uses an XML instead of the fairly hard to parse ics format for which I found no reasonable parser yet so please don't stop it!

> File extension(s): XML data should use "xml" as the file extension.
> Macintosh file type code(s): None specified.

I believe and specific file extension would be useful, for email, web-based, file-based content negotiation; .xml is too generic.
(what about .icx? .xcs? .xic?)

E.g. a USB stick containing such a file shouldn't let people that double click on it get proposed to XML-edit or Mozilla-view this file, they should propose to open it in a calendar application!

One more suggestion: would negotiation in clipboards also make sense? (to me yes)
Then I'd suggest to follow the MathML and SVG examples.

paul