Additional comments on image/svg+xml

Ron Wilson wilsonronl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 22:15:57 CEST 2010

Why should 2 extensions be needed to indicate the presence or absence
of compression? Even in the absence of a transfer encoding header,
container formats like GZIP are readily recognizable by reading the
first several bytes and the appropriate container handler can be
invoked as needed. One example of an application that does this is
Dia. (I think another example is the GIF format. As I recall, the
difference between a compressed and uncompressed GIF image is the
presence or absence of LZW compression, which is really just another
container format.)

If we need a 2nd extension and type for the GZIP'ed version of a type,
then we will need a 3rd/4th/etc extension and type when additional
container formats are introduced.