New Version Notification for draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Sep 30 14:07:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:27:13 +0200, Paul Libbrecht <paul at activemath.org>
wrote:
> Le 30-sept.-09 à 11:50, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>>> None of these should be called text, that's pretty clear for the
>>> ideal world or?
>>
>> To me they all seem text-based formats. As opposed to say JPEG.
>
> I suppose you're right for me and you and the whole audience of this
> mailing-list.
> I also know people that read PostScript or PDF, maybe not you and me,
> but it's also text.
> And I used to be fit to input hexadecimal code of assembler-code
> (composed as bits in my head)... and maybe a clever guy can actually
> read JPEG.
>
> To me the text family means, it can make sense to show it as text to
> the user.
> HTML, JavaScript, and CSS all fail for normal users. And it's not
> surprising there are exceptions.

It seems more useful to me to maintain the definition of text-based as
meaning a format based on a character stream rather than only including
formats that closely resemble text/plain.

Whether this does or does not match the original spirit of text/* seems
somewhat irrelevant at this point in time.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/