Request and Review of application for addition of ddms+xml MIME Type

Ned Freed ned.freed at mrochek.com
Sat Mar 15 16:27:17 CET 2008

> let me begin by mentioning that I am new to the IETF and the
> registration process and so I am soliciting the group for not only
> feedback for the proposed addition of "application/ddms+xml" MIME type
> but also the application process.

It is up to the IESG to determine whether or not this meets the criteria for
registration in the standards tree. Below are my comments on the registration
itself - I wrote this up as media types reviewer back when you submitted this
as a vendor type.

> the below application provides general background and pertinent
> information.  If there's a need for further information, please let me
> know; your input is greatly appreciated.

My details comments appear below.

				Ned

> Name : Pouya Safa

> Email : psafa at fgm.com

> MIME media type name : Application

> MIME subtype name : (Standards Tree) ddms+xml

> Required parameters : identifier, title, creator, subjectCoverage,
> security

First, I have to wonder if you really intend for these to be media type
parameters. It is rare for a type to have this many required and optional
parameters and these look more like XML elements than parameters.

Second, if you really do intend to have these as parameters they must be fully
defined. Please give a description of each that includes both their syntax as
well as their semantics.

Third, parameter names are case insensitive. So while writing "subjectCoverage"
is technically OK, it is customary to write "subjectcoverage" instead.

> Optional parameters :

> subtitle, description, language, dates, rights, source, type,publisher,
> contributor, pointOfContact, format, virtualCoverage, temporalCoverage,
> geospatialCoverage

Same issues as required parameters.

> Encoding considerations : 7bit

> Security considerations : the DDMS utilizes the xs:any tag which may
> potentially be a security liability.

This is useful information but insufficient. All media type registrations must
describe their security considerations; simply saying there are none or leaving
the section blank is unacceptable.

In discussing the security considerations for a media type it is
necessary to cover at least these points:

(1) State whether or not the media type contains active or executable
    content. If the media type does contain executable content explain
    what measures have been taken to insure that it can be executed
    safely, e.g. a sandbox, safe operation set, signed content, etc.

(2) State whether or not the information contained in the media type
    needs privacy or integrity services.

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes, elaborate on any privacy or integrity
    services the media type itself provides.

One of the differences between a vendor and standards tree registration is
that these issues must be covered in the standards tree. Although it is
discouraged, a vendor tree registration may say "security issues have not
been assessed".