Media type for output of POSIX "diff" utility

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 31 18:18:02 CEST 2007

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> They never do, don't they?
>
> Well, some formats at least have well-defined and working defaults, or
> allow you to specify the encoding; neither is true with diff and patch
> formats.

Yes, that's what I meant to say...

>> What exactly does that mean? That different parts of it have a different
>> character encoding?
>
> Yes, that's not uncommon with this kind of format. Think "I converted
> the README from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, see the attached patch".

Interesting.

The reason why I am looking into this is that it would be great to
revive HTTP PATCH, for which in turn it would be good to have a
registered MIME type for "patch" payloads. In that case, the patch
itself would always apply to a single resource (at the Request-URI). But
that's of course only one use case...

Best regards, Julian