MPEG asks for MIME review for the MPEG21 file format

Christian Timmerer (ITEC) christian.timmerer at itec.uni-klu.ac.at
Thu May 24 14:27:33 CEST 2007

Dear Graham,

> Is there any chance that the standardization committee might be
> persuaded to
> make public release of part 9, describing this file format, in addition
> to parts
> 1, 2 and the schema already made public?  I think that doing so would
> make the
> MPEG21 vision accessible to a wider base of developers.
[Christian Timmerer (ITEC)] Yes there is a chance but it might be difficult since ISO is usually doing this only for technical reports, reference software, and in some exceptional cases for so-called "baseline" standards, i.e., those that are most relevant for a particular standard in order to become adopted by others (e.g., Part 2 of MPEG-21).

Furthermore, MPEG-21 Part 9 is based on the ISO base media file format which is a joint standard between MPEG and JPEG. The ISO base media file format is indeed publicly available [1-4]. However, we might get into troubles why we're asking ISO to make MPEG-21 Part 9 publicly available but not other MPEG file formats, etc. Dave might correct me if I say something wrong here.

I think the best and easiest way how to proceed is to provide you (=IETF) the relevant (=MPEG-21) file format standard(s) through liaison at the next meeting which is at the beginning of July in Lausanne. Anyway, I'll also ask whether it is feasible to make Part 9 of MPEG-21 publicly available.

Thanks.
Best regards,
 -Christian

[1] http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c041828_ISO_IEC_14496-12_2005(E).zip