Registrtion of MIME media type audio/aptX

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Mon May 21 10:38:45 CEST 2007

Colin Perkins skrev:
> Greg,
>
> We have previously discussed bringing this work to the IETF AVT working
> group. I would strongly suggest that you do so, submitting an
> Internet-Draft for your RTP Payload Format, and allowing the working
> group to provide advice. As they stand, these draft registrations fail
> to address the issues (correct media parameters, SDP, conformance to RFC
> 4855, etc.) in a number of ways.

And to further clarify. You are not allowed to register audio/aptx (in
the standards tree) unless there is a standards document (RFC or other
recognized SDO) defining payload format and codecs. If that isn't
available, I would recommend registering them in the vendor tree, i.e.
audio/vnd.apt.X

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com