news-message-ID review request

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Mon Feb 19 18:52:05 CET 2007

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>>   The MIME 'news-message-ID' access type was erroneously listed as
>>   subtype.  IANA should remove 'news-message-ID' from the application
>>   subtype registry, and add it to the access type registry defined in
>>   [RFC4289]: <http://www.iana.org/assignments/access-types>.

> I think the terminology here is very confusing, you are writing aboutn
> an Internet Media Type but never mention that.

I'm writing about an "access type" apparently registered under the rules
in RFC 1341 appendix F.3.  For unknown reasons that's now erroneously
listed as an application subtype.

> it seems you are simply saying there is an error in the registry.

Yes.

> it seems more appropriate to have IANA fix the registry without going
> through the standards process.

Maybe I could claim that "RFC to be" was good enough 1993 for RFC 1341.

But I guess it's more straight forward to have a proper RFC as spec. in
the registry, instead of the pointer to RFC 1036 (which doesn't contain
any MIME access types or media types) + mailto Henry Spencer link.

RFC 4289 demands that anyway for "new" access-types, or actually for
"all" access types minus this one grandfathered exception.  It also fits
into the context of news URLs.

Frank