news-message-ID review request

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 17:06:37 CET 2007

* Frank Ellermann wrote:
>Hi, the following is probably (I'm new to this list) unusual, it will be
>published in the "IANA considerations" of I-D.ellermann-news-nntp-uri-05,
>see <http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-05.txt>
>
>~~~ cut ~~~
>8.3.  'news-message-ID' access type
>
>   The MIME 'news-message-ID' access type was erroneously listed as
>   subtype.  IANA should remove 'news-message-ID' from the application
>   subtype registry, and add it to the access type registry defined in
>   [RFC4289]: <http://www.iana.org/assignments/access-types>.

I think the terminology here is very confusing, you are writing about an
Internet Media Type but never mention that. As I read RFC 4288, it isn't
possible to remove a media type from the registry, and it seems you are
simply saying there is an error in the registry. In that case it seems
more appropriate to have IANA fix the registry without going through the
standards process.