Request to review Media Type */rtp-enc-aescm128 for 3GPP

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Thu Sep 21 17:50:36 CEST 2006

Bjoern Hoehrmann skrev:
> * Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>> The following Media Type was discussed on the list at the end of 2004.
>> Time to finally register it. I intend to request IESG to approve
>> registration following the SDO rules on the 6th of October. So if
>> someone has strong objections against this speak up before then.
>
> According to RFC 4288 section 4.10:
>
>   As stated previously, standards tree registrations for media types
>   defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be
>   described by a formal standards specification produced by that body.
>   Such specifications MUST contain an appropriate media type
>   registration template taken from Section 10.
>
> You did not really use this template; for example, the RFC 4288 uses a
> "Type name" field while you use "MIME media type name", and you use a
> single "Author/Change controller" field while the RFC 4288 template has
> two separate fields.

Bugger, I guess this was an oversight and depending on timing that RFC
4288 was not finished yet.

>> K.1.4.1	MIME type definition
>>
>> MIME media type name: audio, video, text
>
> I think it would be better to have one template for each type.

I think that is overdoing it substantially. Having three copies of the
template with the only difference is the main media type seems very
unnecessary.

>> Encoding considerations:
>> This type is only defined for transfer via RTP (RFC 3550).
>
> This needs to be one of "7bit", "8bit", "binary", "framed". This
> information should probably go into "Restrictions on usage" or into
> "Additional information".

Yes, this is pre shaking this out. It should be framed and the above
text should go in "Restrictions on usage".

>> Person & email address to contact for further information:
>> 	magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
>
> Person & email address, not just email address.

Well, that is easy.

So an update is needed. I will start the change process and hope that
3GPP isn't in a bad mod.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com