Request to review Media Type */rtp-enc-aescm128 for 3GPP

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 17:38:52 CEST 2006

* Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>The following Media Type was discussed on the list at the end of 2004.
>Time to finally register it. I intend to request IESG to approve
>registration following the SDO rules on the 6th of October. So if
>someone has strong objections against this speak up before then.

According to RFC 4288 section 4.10:

  As stated previously, standards tree registrations for media types
  defined in documents produced by other standards bodies MUST be
  described by a formal standards specification produced by that body.
  Such specifications MUST contain an appropriate media type
  registration template taken from Section 10.

You did not really use this template; for example, the RFC 4288 uses a
"Type name" field while you use "MIME media type name", and you use a
single "Author/Change controller" field while the RFC 4288 template has
two separate fields.

>K.1.4.1	MIME type definition
>
>MIME media type name: audio, video, text

I think it would be better to have one template for each type.

>Encoding considerations:
>This type is only defined for transfer via RTP (RFC 3550).

This needs to be one of "7bit", "8bit", "binary", "framed". This
information should probably go into "Restrictions on usage" or into
"Additional information".

>Person & email address to contact for further information:
>	magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com

Person & email address, not just email address.