[cellml-discussion] Review solicited for application/cellml+xml

Matt Halstead matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 10 23:01:40 CEST 2006

On 11/05/2006, at 12:54 AM, Mark Baker wrote:

> On 5/9/06, Matt Halstead <matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>> There is nothing stopping anyone from storing the file with any
>> extension,
>
> Actually, there is.  Much software - including all Web servers I've
> used, and many mail clients - infer the media type based on the file
> extension.  This effectively makes the file extension an alias for the
> media type.  For example, Apache (1.3 at least), by default, is
> configured to send files with a ".xml" extensions as
> "application/xml", which in IE 6 will present a "tree view" of the XML
> document; presumably not the behaviour that CellML publishers are
> looking for.  It is possible to reconfigure Apache or the mail
> clients, of course, but do you really want to require it of CellML
> publishers?  The more likely outcome is, as I've mentioned before, is
> that CellML will find itself being published as application/xml or
> text/rss because the software was not reconfigured.
>
> Mark.

The same applies for 'application/xhtml+xml'

Writing an apache mod_rewrite rule works just fine for serving up the
correct content-type for a set of files that match your rules for
static files.

Everyone else using dynamic processes, be it cgi etc, can guess the
mime-type to send as they should be doing.

cheers
Matt