[cellml-discussion] Review solicited for application/cellml+xml

Mark Baker distobj at acm.org
Wed May 10 14:54:40 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, Matt Halstead <matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> There is nothing stopping anyone from storing the file with any
> extension,

Actually, there is.  Much software - including all Web servers I've
used, and many mail clients - infer the media type based on the file
extension.  This effectively makes the file extension an alias for the
media type.  For example, Apache (1.3 at least), by default, is
configured to send files with a ".xml" extensions as
"application/xml", which in IE 6 will present a "tree view" of the XML
document; presumably not the behaviour that CellML publishers are
looking for.  It is possible to reconfigure Apache or the mail
clients, of course, but do you really want to require it of CellML
publishers?  The more likely outcome is, as I've mentioned before, is
that CellML will find itself being published as application/xml or
text/rss because the software was not reconfigured.

Mark.