Community Review & IESG Approval of Media Type for OEBPS package standard

Nick Bogaty nbogaty at idpf.org
Fri Apr 28 19:28:44 CEST 2006

To whom it may concern,

As per the instructions for registering MIME types in the Standards tree
with the IETG/IANA ( <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4288.txt>
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4288.txt), I am submitting the
following potential media type registration for preliminary community review
with the aim of IESG approval before submission to the IANA.

I am the Executive Director of a small standards organization devoted to
digital texts and electronic books called the International Digital
Publishing Forum (www.idpf.org).  We created and maintain a standard widely
used by the publishing industry to create electronic books called the Open
eBook Publication Structure (OEBPS).  That specification can be found at
http://www.idpf.org/oebps/oebps1.2/index.htm.  The OEBPS specification
states that there must be something called an OEBPS package file which
specifies OEBPS documents, images, and other objects that make up an entire
OEBPS publication.

What we are looking to do is to formally register a MIME Type for this
package file in the standards tree.  Specifically, we are seeking to
register the following MIME Type for the OEBPS package:
"application/oebps-package+xml".

If this submission requires additional information for community review and
IESG approval, please let me know.

Best,
Nick Bogaty
--